Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get in contact with Step Ahead Coaching?
- What if my child misses a class?
- Do you tutor in the school holidays?
- What should I do when I have questions or problems during classes?
- How do I pay the fees?
- How much do you charge for lessons?
- Will my child be provided with homework?
- How long do classes run for?
- How do you determine which class is suitable for my child?
- How are your classes structured?
- What is the size of your classes?
- How are Step Ahead Tutors different to others?
- What kind of tutors can I expect from Step Ahead Coaching?
- Why can’t I rely on the teachers at my child’s school to make sure they get the help they need?
- Will Step Ahead Coaching help my child obtain a good score?
How do I get in contact with Step Ahead Coaching?
What if my child misses a class?
We highly recommend students not to miss any class in order to take maximum benefit from our classes. Since most classes prepare students well ahead of their school syllabus, missing a class will result in students falling behind their peers.
We are serious about results and want the best for your child and as a condition of enrolment, students who miss more than two classes per term will be disenrolled and their position will be given to a student on the waiting list.
In the case that a student is sick, Step Ahead Coaching must be notified before class by SMS or phone. If a doctor’ certificate is submitted, students will receive a credit for that absence. Only 1 sick absence is allowed and will be credited per term.
Do you tutor in the school holidays?
Normal tutoring classes cease during the school holidays, however we run a range of workshops for students that we encourage all students attend as they are highly beneficial in preparing them for exams and with skills not normally addressed at school.
Workshops include intensive HSC preparation workshops, Stress Less workshops, Public Speaking, Essay Writing and NAPLAN workshops.
We also run our famous Study skills seminars and even University preparation workshops.
What should I do when I have questions or problems during classes?
When a student has a question or problem regarding their school work, they are encouraged to ask their teacher during class to address the question.
If they find it uncomfortable to ask during class, they have the opportunity to approach the teacher during breaks or at the beginning or end of each class to answer and clarify individual questions.
Questions can also be resolved by corresponding with tutors (via an online platform) throughout the school week.
At Step Ahead Coaching, we aim to not only assist students during their allocated tuition sessions but also outside of school and tutoring hours.
How do I pay the fees?
Payment is strictly due before your child attends the first lesson. There are a two payment options available.
You can choose to make a 5-week payment or a 10-week payment.
A discount is available for the 10-week plan if paid within the Early Bird window.
Payments can be made in person to a Step Ahead Coaching staff member at our centre or alternatively via bank cheque or electronic funds transfer.
How much do you charge for lessons?
We have a fixed price tuition fee structure to keep tuition fees competitive. We also have discounts for siblings and upfront term payments.
Click here to find out more about our tuition fees.
Will my child be provided with homework?
The tutor may assign some homework to consolidate the material learnt during the lesson depending on your school workload and your learning needs.
How long do classes run for?
Classes duration vary depending on the subject you are doing and the year you are enrolled in. Most classes are generally 2 hours per subject per school week.
Each Term is about ~10 weeks and also run on public holidays and in the holidays based on student needs.
How do you determine which class is suitable for my child?
In order to accurately determine the student’s needs, all enrolled students are required to undergo an initial assessment, the result of which is used to stream students according to their relative foundation knowledge.
In this way, we are able to provide classes for both the students seeking to catch up with schoolwork and those that hungers for a greater challenge.
However, classes are never final and if we feel that a student is outperforming his/her class, we will reassign the student into a more accelerated class.
How are your classes structured?
With over 10 years of teaching experience, Step Ahead Coaching has continuously refined and optimized its teaching style and methods to deliver maximum benefit in the allocated class times.
We use the latest modern teaching methods combined with tried and tested methods of delivery. A student is most receptive to learning is a non-confronting, relaxed and stress free environment.
Firstly, we ensure our classes are conducive to learning.
Each class is structured to:
1) Deliver consistent revision,
2) Teach new content
3) Provide ample opportunities for students to work through problem
sets independently and be provided with constructive feedback.
4) Provide comprehensive notes on the subject that’s being taught.
5) Allow students to prepare for upcoming exams.
6) Provide students with booklets and practice exams to help them further improve their marks.
Student’s performance is monitored on a weekly basis to make sure that they are always at their peak performance and prompt feedback is provided to parents if required.
What is the size of your classes?
Our experience tells us that having a small group (maximum of 6 students) enables students to have a healthy competition with their peers whilst receiving the much needed individualized attention and support.
This proven method also makes classes more interactive and collaborative. Our experience also found that although one on one classes may seem more beneficial, they normally progress slower as students get bored quickly.
There is limited discussion, and the competitive aspect is taken away and thus learning slows.
How are Step Ahead Tutors different to others?
- For High School -Our young and dynamic tutors where all school graduates who still have a fresh memory of what it was like to be a high school student.
- This means they are able to provide a type of understanding to your child that no other coaching service will have. We find that students respond the best to tutors closer to their age and are able to make a better connection with them. Our students love our tutors because they are friendly, helpful and fun.
- Our senior tutors all have 10 plus years of teaching experience under their belt, so you can rest assured that your child is being taught by the best.
- For Primary school – Our tutors are not only degree qualified, but are young and enthusiastic individuals who actually care about your child.
- The progress of our students are also clearly reported back to parents in a constructive manner that lets them understand how their child is improving. Our tutors also communicate with parents regularly to keep them in the loop with what’s happening, which most other coaching services will not find the time to do.
- Our guidance also goes beyond simply giving good teaching to also provide tips for successful study habits. We teach our students techniques for exam preparation, note making, stress management and more
- We take a proactive approach rather than a reactive approach and try to push your child ahead of what they are doing at school. Our tutors seek to expose students to study content normally taught in later years so that our students can achieve and maintain a head start over their peers We do our best to provide our students with all the skills they need to gain enough confidence to succeed.
What kind of tutors can I expect from Step Ahead Coaching?
Our tutors are intelligent, highly motivated and creative individuals having achieved numerous academic awards. They have years of tutoring experience under their belt.
Our junior tutors currently hold or are pursuing University Degrees in Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Commerce, Engineering and Education.
The aim of our tutors is to provide students the opportunity to review and reinforce key concepts whilst building on advanced concepts that will consequently improve knowledge, retention and confidence in subjects.
Our aim is to expose students to more advanced applications after defeating core concepts to ensure students are well prepared for tests and exams.
We ensure our friendly tutors possess excellent leadership and communication skills combined with the commitment and passion to deliver quality classes.
Why can’t I rely on the teachers at my child’s school to make sure they get the help they need?
- Teachers are time poor, many times over worked and stressed out. On a lot occasions, concepts are not comprehensively covered and questions are not fully answered in the insufficient time frame at school. There are normally too many students and not enough time to cater to every student’s needs
- Class sizes can range from 20 to 40 students and many times students get distracted and lose focus. If your child does not understand something and is shy, the teacher may not pick up on it. The teacher may continue teaching assuming your child understood and this will lead to problems later on.
- Very little, if any time is given to listen to your child’s individual concerns. Let alone convey important lessons related to time management, effective study methods, motivation or stress management. These aspects are crucial in succeeding at the highest level.
Will Step Ahead Coaching help my child obtain a good score?
Our classes are designed to help students acquire the confidence and skills required to boost grades in school. However, the degree of academic performance is solely dependent on each individual student.
It depends on the amount of time they dedicate to study, their academic ability, and their motivation/desire to succeed.
We ensure that students will be provided with the best services available by promoting a positive learning environment that makes learning interesting and enjoyable, helping students improve their scores and test results.